Duromine and Suprenza are two trademarks of one weight loss drug – Phentermine. Despite the fact that Duromine and Suprenza have similar pharmacological properties and therapeutic effects (appetite suppression), they have differences as well. These drugs, containing Phentermine differ by:
- pharmaceutical form
- color and size of diet pills
- indications for use
- dosage of Phentermine in weight loss pills
Manufacturer of Suprenza weight loss drug is Citius Pharmaceuticals LLC. The FDA approved Suprenza drug for obesity treatment in March 27, 2012. Suprenza is marketed and distributed by Akrimax Pharmaceuticals, LLC.
Duromine is produced by iNova Pharmaceuticals, which is a part of Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc. since December 2011. Despite this union, products of iNova still enter the markets of Canada, Australia, Latin America, Central and Eastern Europe. Duromine weight loss drug is in the list in Australian Register of Therapeutic Goods since June 16, 1991.
Pharmaceutical form and dosage of Phentermine weight loss pills
Citius Pharmaceuticals LLC produces Suprenza in orally disintegrating tablets:
- Suprenza 15 mg (equivalent to 12 mg of Phentermine Hydrochloride)
- Suprenza 30 mg (equivalent to 24 mg of Phentermine Hydrochloride)
- Suprenza 37.5 mg (equivalent to 30 mg of Phentermine Hydrochloride)
iNova Pharmaceuticals produces Duromine in capsules:
- Duromine 15 mg (equivalent to Phentermine as an ion-exchange resin complex 15 mg)
- Duromine 30 mg (Phentermine as an ion-exchange resin complex 30 mg)
- Duromine 40 mg (Phentermine as an ion-exchange resin complex 40 mg)
Color and size of diet pills
Suprenza orally disintegrating tablets (ODT) are of round shape. Suprenza 15 mg are yellow with blue specks and an imprint AX4. ODT Suprenza 30 mg are yellow with embossing AX7 on one side. ODT SUPRENZA are white with blue specks and embossing AX8.
Suprenza ODT dissolve in the mouth, which makes them comfortable for use, therefore people who cannot swallow pills due to larynx damage or disease, can easily take this medication. Peak concentration of Phentermine in the blood plasma is observed in 3-4.5 hours after intake of Suprenza tablets. Anorexigenic effect may last up to 8-10 hours.
All Duromine capsules have oblong shape and two colors. One part of the capsule of Duromine 15 mg is grey, the other part – green. The capsule is embossed DUROMINE 15.
Duromine 30 mg capsules are of grey and reddish-brown color, embossed with DUROMINE 30. Duromine 40 mg – is of grey and orange color, embossed DUROMINE 40.
After the intake of Duromine capsules, Phentermine is released equally and continuously within 10-14 hours. Therapeutic effect of Duromine lasts within 25 hours.
Indications for use
Suprenza and Duromine slimming pills are prescribed for weight loss to people with BMI over 30. Suprenza and Duromine can also be prescribed to people with smaller BMI, but who have obesity-related diseases (diabetes, dyslipidemia, and hypertension). For the treatment of obesity with high risk factors:
- Duromine is prescribed in BMI 25 of higher. Duromine weight loss capsules can be prescribed for obesity treatment in patients older than 12 years.
- Suprenza is prescribed in BMI 27 or higher. Suprenza slimming tablets are designated for obesity treatment in patients over 16 years old.
Despite these differences, a person can take Suprenza tablets of 15 mg or 30 mg instead of Duromine capsules of 15 mg or 30 mg. Duromine is not produced in the dose of 37.5 mg, so it cannot be taken instead of Suprenza 37.5 mg. Suprenza tablets are not produced in the dose of 40mg, therefore they cannot be used if a person was prescribed with Duromine 40mg.